A pal from the Philippines despatched me this replace on Covid-19 Cases in the ASEAN region. And at the moment, Vietnam has a complete of 268 circumstances with 198 recovered. She was asking what’s Vietnam doing in another way in comparison with the Philippines.
The Philippines (inhabitants of round 107 million), as of penning this entry, has 22 instances extra circumstances than Vietnam at 5,878, 487 recovered, and 387 deaths. Vietnam has a inhabitants of 95 million.
Each nations are fairly densely populated and contemplating that Vietnam shares a border with China, Vietnam is extra prone to contracting the virus than the Philippines. Geographically, the Philippines had a greater likelihood of really dodging the bullet if it closed down its airports early on.
So what’s Vietnam doing in another way in comparison with the Philippines?
- From the primary two circumstances of Covid-19 again in January 23, the Vietnamese authorities was on pink alert. Not as soon as did we really feel that the federal government was not on the highest of issues. I used to be truly shocked that Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc was very decisive and took the only a few circumstances of 16 very severely. With the PM’s decisiveness, the Ministry of Well being was given the go forward to plan and execute accordingly.
- When the primary two circumstances occurred, it was throughout the Lunar New Yr and since then, beginning January 23, the Ministry of Schooling determined to droop lessons. Sure. THAT EARLY.
- Vietnam produces its personal testing kits.
- Relentless and no joke contact tracing and quarantining of individuals beneath investigation or monitoring. They do it on a big scale if wanted.
- No flights coming in since March 25.
- Social distancing since April 1. Not completely locked down. Individuals can nonetheless transfer throughout the metropolis however can’t cross cities or provinces. We’re on our third week.
- Computerized quarantine to a facility from individuals coming from overseas previous to the social distancing directive.
- No public transportation since April 1.
- Earn a living from home is inspired however not necessary. Individuals can nonetheless go to work. However since there isn’t a public transportation, persons are pressured to work at home except they’ve their very own mode of transportation
- 9 USD tremendous for not carrying face masks in public.
- Hefty tremendous of round 320 USD (7.5kVND) if caught congregating outdoors past 2 individuals.
Usually, I feel face masks helped. As a result of Vietnam is a motorbiking nation, face masks are a part of our each day lives. I truly couldn’t consider I’d have this many alternative sort of face masks in my stash:
To be truthful although, the Philippines has had no actual expertise of an epidemic of this scale previously. When the SARS outbreak in 2003 occurred, the Philippines solely had 14 circumstances and a couple of fatalities. The Covid-19 pandemic proves to be a really painful lesson to us all.